I‘ve made fabulous dinners and treats these past few days, but the one which anchored two meals was Fried Rice. This recipe has always been a lifesaver and lo and behold, it came in handy these last couple of days. Enjoy!
Inspired by a recipe from Foodnetwork.com courtesy of Rachel Ray.
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups white (I prefer jasmine)
- 3 tbspveg. oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 inches (this is about 1 1/2 tbsp ) ginger, minced or grated
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup Tamari (aged soy sauce. makes a difference)
- Cook rice, I like to cook my rice in the micro it comes out perfect all the time. Spread rice out on a cookie sheet to quick cool. This is an important step as when cooking most fried rice, day old rice is advised, but the above tip is a true time saver.
- Heat a wok or large non stick skillet over high heat. Add the oil to the pan.
- Add egg to hot oil and break into small bits as it scrambles.
- When eggs are scrambled, add garlic and ginger to pan.
- Add carrots, pepper, scallions to the pan and quick stir-fry veggies for 3 min.
- Add rice to the pan and combine with the veggies.
- Fry rice with veggies 2 or 3 min.
- Add peas and tamari to the rice and stir fry 1 minute. Serve.