I love the Basque country whether in Spain or France…, it really doesn’t matter both sides are equally beautiful and equally delicious. This is a wonderful recipe that was given to me from my sister Helena. She gave it to me a looooong time ago. I wrote it on an “important message pad”. I love-making this recipe and holding that original piece of paper. The paper the recipe is written on is personal history for me and very sentimental. Do you remember those little pink pads that you would write messages on for your boss or other team members? Do people have assistants that give them hand written messages anymore?
Ooh la la or Ole! This is a wonderful one pot dinner, comforting, tasty and oh so Basque! Serve it up with rice. The leftovers are my favorite! Enjoy!
INGREDIENTS: recipe for 4
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 lb. chicken pieces
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. bacon rind removed and cut into 1/4″ cubes (cheating tip: use the pre cut Pancetta in 4 oz. container)
- chopped parsley
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 lbs. peas (this is a lot of peas, I usually half the amount but use your judgement
- Heat the oil in frying pan over med. high heat when oil is hot brown chicken, both sides, season salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from pan, reduce heat.
- Add onion,bacon, parsley, garlic,pepper saute till translucent.
- Return chicken to the Pan, cover and cook over lower heat stirring occasionally
- After 20 minutes take out white, leave dark for 5 min.
- Put white chicken pieces back in pan and add peas. Cooked covered for 5 minutes